Discover the best books
as soon as they're posted.
books that deserve exposure.
The Mind-Gut Connection
by Emeran Mayer, MD
Combining cutting-edge neuroscience with the latest discoveries on the human microbiome, a practical guide in the tradition of The Second Brain and The Good Gut that conclusively demonstrates the inextricable, biological link between mind and the digestive system.
We have all experienced the connection between our mind and our gut-the decision we made because it “felt right”; the butterflies in our stomach before a big meeting; the anxious stomach rumbling we get when we’re stressed out. While the dialogue between the gut and the brain has been recognized by ancient healing traditions, including Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, Western medicine has by the large failed to appreciate the complexity of how the brain, gut, and more recently, the gut microbiota-the microorganisms that live inside our digestive tract-communicate with one another. In The Mind-Gut Connection, Dr. Emeran Mayer, professor of medicine and executive director of the UCLA Center for Neurobiology of Stress, offers a evolutionary and provocative look at this developing science, teaching us how to harness the power of the mind-gut connection to take charge of our health and listen to the innate wisdom of our bodies.
The Mind-Gut Connection is a revolutionary new holistic view of what keeps us healthy, ranging from the food choices we make to the ways we can train our mind, with the ultimate goal of attaining optimal health.
The Mind-Gut Connection describes:
- How gut microbes are active participants in the communications between your brain and your gut.
- How mode of delivery, breastfeeding and early life stress interact to program your gut brain axis.
- Why a diet that is optimal for your gut microbes is also best for your brain health.
- How to “listen to your gut” and be mindful of the signals your body is sending you.
- 10 simple steps you can take towards optimal health
Read One of Our Books?
Receive the latest book recommendations, recipes, health news, and promotions.