Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Move over mashed potatoes – there’s a new side dish in town! This whipped cauliflower is creamy, comforting, salty, garlicky, and so easy to make. This is the perfect healthy plant-based side that will have everyone fooled.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter (or olive oil)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (to help with pureeing)
- Fresh parsley or chives (for garnish)
- Cut cauliflower into even florets and steam in a large pot with a steamer basket (covered) until very tender – about 15-20 minutes depending on size of pot and cauliflower florets. Remove from heat and set aside uncovered too cool slightly.
- In the meantime, sauté the garlic in the vegan butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until just slightly browned (be careful not to burn). Or, you can keep your garlic raw for a punchier, stringer garlic flavour. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Transfer half of the cauliflower to a food processor (or use an immersion blender to purée cauliflower in a pot or saucepan) and process until puréed. (The amount of cauliflower you’re able to purée at once will vary based on the size of your food processor). Then add half of the garlic butter as well as half of the salt and pepper and process until well combined.
- Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more salt and pepper to taste, garlic for intense garlic flavour, vegan butter for buttery flavour, or almond milk to help the cauliflower purée. NOTE: you could even blend in a little nutritional yeast to add cheesy flavour, or vegan cream cheese for more creaminess (optional).
- Transfer to a mixing bowl or serving platter and cover to keep warm. Then repeat this blending and seasoning process until all the cauliflower is whipped and seasoned.
- Garnish with herbs and vegan parmesan cheese (optional), and another sprinkle of salt and pepper and serve hot. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days, or 1 month in the freezer. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop in a saucepan until hot.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @flourishhealth.ca on Instagram and use the hashtag #BloomWithFlourish
Subscribe for New Recipes
Receive the latest recipes, healthy news, and Flourish promotions.
Fitness | Beauty | Relationships | Parenthood | Mindfulness | Health | Book Club
Balanced Breakfast | Lean Lunches | Dinner | Snacks | Kid-Friendly | Drinks & Smoothies | Cocktails | Sweets
Enjoy a collection of curated books to help you bloom.